Strawberry Shortcake Tiramisu
Author: Real Food Family
Recipe type: Dessert
- 3-4 cups strawberries, sliced (about 20-25 strawberries)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar, plus ¼ cup
- 3 egg yolks
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1, 8-ounce package of freeze-dried strawberries, crushed into a powder (optional)
- 1 pre-packaged or freshly made butter pound cake or lady finger cookies
- Place sliced strawberries in a large bowl and gently toss with lemon juice, vinegar, and 2 tablespoons sugar. Let set while preparing cream.
- Place egg yolks and ¼ cup sugar in a bowl and beat with an electric mixture or very strong arm until pale yellow and fluffy, and sugar has dissolved. Whisk in mascarpone cheese until smooth and blended. Add cream and whisk until smooth and cream has whipped and puffed up slightly. Do not over-beat or cream will separate and mixture will become oily. Finally, gently stir in strawberry powder.
- Place thin sliced of cake or cookies on the bottom of a baking dish to create a base layer. Spread half of the strawberry slices, with juices, over the layer of cake/cookies. Spread half of the cream mixture over the strawberries. Repeat with one more layer of cake/cookies, marinated strawberries, and cream. Serve immediately or chill for a few hours in the refrigerator and serve.