A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22
It’s only when an injury or emergency occurs that most of us realize that we do not have all the first aid supplies we need ready and available in our homes. In preparing to have our third baby, I decided to make sure we were as fully prepared as we should be by putting together a medical AND holistic first aid kit.
What is a Medical AND Holistic First Aid Kit?
As much as I am a lover of holistic remedies, I’m not so ridiculous that I don’t believe in having proper medical supplies on hand, too. My medical-and-holistic first aid kit includes everything “officially” recommended by emergency organizations as well as the holistic remedies and care products that can also be extremely valuable in case of injury or emergency.
Holistic First Aid Items:
Plant medicine is absolutely, hands-down our top choice for holistic health options. We use our plant medicines topically on wounds, burns and infections- depending on what is indicated for each oil or oil blend.
Because plant medicine is so powerful, I can’t give too much info about it publicly because the information I provide may be misused as health care advice. BUT if you CONTACT ME, I can give you all the information you need!
More holistic remedies:
USE: Detoxification, Binds to toxins to pull from the body. Activated Charcoal is commonly used to adsorb digestive gas but it also protects the body from overdosing on harmful toxic substances. Due to its large surface area, activated charcoal has high absorption properties, meaning that it keeps certain substances from being absorbed in the body’s gastro-intestinal tract.
USE: Detoxification, Binds to toxins to pull from the body. Bentonite Clay is a mineral source dietary supplement that traps and binds unwanted, non-nutritive substances such as herbicides and other potentially harmful substances so that they do not remain in the body. Bentonite’s mechanisum of action is physical, due to its colloidal structure and charge particles. The total adsorptive surface area of each tablespoon serving of Great Plains® Bentonite is over 900 square yards. Great Plains® is a unique naturally occuring bentonites with proper mineral composition for maximum ability to remove unwanted substances. *While you’re checking out supplemental Bentonite Clay you might want to also check out this formula meant to be used for a detoxifying facial.
USE: Muscle Injuries, healing wounds, reduce inflammation. Arnica (Arnica montana) has been used for medicinal purposes since the 1500s and is still popular today. Applied to the skin as a cream, ointment, liniment, salve, or tincture, arnica has been used to soothe muscle aches, reduce inflammation, and heal wounds. It is commonly used for injuries such as sprains and bruises. Homeopathic formulated tablets are safe to consume to help with inflammation.
USE: Antibiotic, anti-inflammatory and astringent. Apply powder to open wounds to clean and stop bleeding. Take internally for food poisoning or ingestion of toxins. Goldenseal’s numerous uses are attributed to its antibiotic, anti-inflammatory and astringent properties. It soothes irritated mucus membranes aiding the eyes, ears, nose and throat. Taken at the first signs of respiratory problems, colds or flu, Goldenseal helps can help to prevent further symptoms from developing. It has also been used to help reduce fevers, and relieve congestion and excess mucous. Goldenseal is often used by midwives to stop maternal hemorrhage.
Goldenseal cleanses and promotes healthy glandular functions by increasing bile flow and digestive enzymes, therefore regulating healthy liver and spleen functions. It can relieve constipation and may also be used to treat infections of the bladder and intestines as well.
USE: maintain high acidity of the stomach to destroy pathogens. The common Western diet often causes stomach acid levels to be too alkaline and not acidic enough (even though most people believe the opposite). HCl tablets and apple cider vinegar work similarly as a front line of defense against ingested toxins and pathogens by restoring the proper acidic pH level of the stomach, which will attack and kill such toxins and pathogens. Take regularly to keep stomach acid levels balanced, but always keep this on hand in foreign countries or in any situation where a toxin or pathogen may have been ingested.
USE: Apply topically for sunburn, minor cuts, insect bites, skin irritations.
USE: Soak in a bath with epsom salts for relief for aches, sprains and stress.
USE: First aid antiseptic solution. Pour on wounds to avoid contamination.
USE: Relief from itchy skin, insect bites and sunburns. May be used to pull toxins from skin in a bath or as a paste on the bottom of the feet.
(Recommendations by the American Red Cross)
- 2 absorbent compress dressings (5 x 9 inches)*
- 25 adhesive bandages (assorted sizes)*
- 1 adhesive cloth tape (10 yards x 1 inch)*
- 5 antibiotic ointment packets (approximately 1 gram)*
- 5 antiseptic wipe packets*
- 2 packets of aspirin (81 mg each)*
- 1 blanket (space blanket)
- 1 breathing barrier (with one-way valve)*
- 1 instant cold compress*
- 2 pair of nonlatex gloves (size: large)*
- 2 hydrocortisone ointment packets (approximately 1 gram each)
- 1 roller bandage (3 inches wide)*
- 1 roller bandage (4 inches wide)*
- 5 sterile gauze pads (3 x 3 inches)*
- 5 sterile gauze pads (4 x 4 inches)*
- Thermometer (non-mercury/nonglass)
- 2 triangular bandages*
- First aid instruction booklet*
- Flashlight (with batteries)- this is a simple waterproof flashlight and this is a high tech emergency flashlight that is worth having on hand
Also be sure to:
- Include any personal items such as medications and emergency phone numbers or other items your health-care provider may suggest.
- Check the kit regularly.
- Make sure flashlight batteries work.
- Check expiration dates and replace any used or out-of-date contents.
*Everything with an asterisk (*) next to it is included in this First Aid Kit with Hard Case, or the kit contains very similar items that will suffice. I’ve linked items not found in this kit items I recommend.
- Temporal thermometer: The Extergen Temporal Thermometer is extremely easy to use and very accurate. This is the best thermometer to use with children.
- Bulb syringe aspirator: Useful for extracting mucous in blocked nasal passages and relieving congestion
- Nosefrida nasal aspirator: An ingenious “snot sucker” for children that is sanitary and effective
- Humidifier: Humidifiers are useful to combat symptoms of a cold or flu, but may be used in an emergency to clear breathing passages
- Epi-pen: It may be necessary to keep an epi-pen in your home for emergency situations. Please speak with your doctor about this.
Disclaimer: As outlined in Real Food Family’s Terms and Conditions, statements in this article post and on this website are not to be considered medical advice. Please consult with a licensed medical practitioner when dealing with illness, injury or any emergency situation.