We make a ton of smoothies, and try to avoid drinking juice unless it’s really good quality or homemade. This “refresher” recipe is sort of a mix between a smoothie and juice, made only with fruit, herbs, honey and water. I make it with frozen fruit, but you don’t have to. I make a gallon of it then store it in the refrigerator.
- 12 ounces strawberries (frozen or fresh)
- 12 ounces seedless watermelon (frozen or fresh)
- 2 sprigs of mint leaves
- zest and juice of 2 limes
- 1/4-1/2 cup of honey
- Coconut Water and/or Purified/Filtered Water
- Place the strawberries, watermelon, mint, lime juice and zest in a blender or food processor. Whisk honey into 1 cup of very hot water to dissolve and turn into a syrup. Place the honey syrup in the blender. Blend everything together until very smooth, adding coconut water or water as needed to get it going. (At this point this mixture is a very sweet smoothie and would be a good base for popsicles or other dessert.)
- Optional: Use a sieve to eliminate any solids from the juice. Transfer the juice to a large one-gallon pitcher and add enough coconut water or water to fill the pitcher (add more or less water depending on desired sweetness). Serve very cold or over ice for a refreshing and wholesome juice treat. Store for up to a week in the refrigerator.