Actually, I should have used less ginger for my ultra-picky kid. The others LOVED it.
A way to make this recipe a little more gourmet would be to roast carrots until they are golden and caramelized, then puree them with the other ingredients. But this mom is a little too busy to make that happen for lunch!
I added some crumbled up seasoned kale chips from the bottom of a snack bag as a topping and it made it crunchy and even more satisfying as a complete meal. If I don’t make the kale chips myself, I’ll get them from Trader Joe’s or at my favorite new wholesale online marketplace, Thrive Market.
- 10-12 carrots, roughly chopped
- 5-6 cups chicken stock (here's our homemade chicken stock recipe)
- zest of 1 1/2 lemons
- 2 teaspoosn freshly grated ginger, or 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 2 tablespoons honey (optional)
- salt and pepper
- kale chips, optional topping (find some at Thrive online marketplace)
- Place carrots and stock in a medium stock pot and bring to a simmer for 20-30 minutes until the carrots are soft. Carefully pour the stock and carrots into a blender (I LOVE my BlendTec), then add the lemon, ginger, honey, and a generous amount of salt and pepper. Blend into a puree, then season, as needed, with salt and pepper. Serve with a honey drizzle (optional) or crumbled kale chips (optional).