Everyone has their way of cutting a watermelon, or any melon for that matter. This is my way. It’s super easy and you get clean, perfect little chunks (to find your favorite center parts and eat first).
I recommend first putting the melon in the refrigerator overnight so that it’s super cold and crispy when you cut it…the ultimate summer refreshment.
This picture pretty much represents what you do:
- Cut the melon in half with a sharp knife. *If cutting a melon with seeds in the middle, scoop the seeds out at this point using a spoon. You can either cut the whole melon if you’re planning to eat it all within a few hours, or cover the one half and store it until you’re ready to eat it. Once cut, melon loses all its water and gets mushy.
- Start slicing the rind off in large pieces on an angle. After a few slices, slice the top off and continue slices the remaining rind.
- Carefully slice the chunk of melon in half from side to side (top and bottom pieces).
- Carefully cut the watermelon, keeping it all together, into a grid- cutting lines one inch apart.
- Transfer to a serving bowl or container and enjoy! *I use flexible cutting boards like these for jobs like this.